~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm currently sitting on my kitchen counter, having just removed a cookie sheet of the most glorious biscuits I've ever made, listening to what I will probably grant the title of my favorite classical piece ever: Beethoven's 7th Symphony. It reminds me of the brief time I spent in Scotland with a beautiful woman, and with it brings so many happy memories. It's also pretty exciting that the amount of time needed to prepare my biscuits was exactly the length of the first movement.
I've decided to read the Gospel of Luke, and then to continue on to Acts afterwards, and then perhaps return to the other Gospels. Today, I read Luke, chapters 1.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since I let my lady borrow my Bible, I don't actually have one with me, so I've had to read on the computer, which I must admit, is much more of a challenge than I anticipated. Especially when a Facebook tab is open right next to it. I may need to rethink this immediate strategy.
There are several things that struck me in this first chapter of Luke, the first being the way in which both Zechariah and Mary initially responded to seeing the angel: with disbelief. It strikes me as incredibly comforting, and very human, because I feel like if I saw an angel, it would be incredibly difficult for me to believe it. At least at first. And it's a nice reminder that even these two, who have been chosen by God to play a bigger role in the humanity's fate, are just regular humans.
I also find it interesting that Zechariah and Elizabeth were "righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commands and decrees blamelessly" (Luke 1:6), and yet still they were unable to conceive of a child. I cannot attest to the cultural norms of the time, but I feel like having a child is one of the most beautiful things God has allowed us to participate in, and to go that long (since "they were both very old", v. 7) without one must have been discouraging. Heartbreaking. It may have even angered them. Or at least been disappointing. And yet, God has a plan for them, and they are eventually enlightened; after years of service to God, He shows them that He has seen their service.
Another interesting thought is how the angel Gabriel almost chastises Zechariah for not believing him, by preventing him for speaking until their child is born. I'm not really sure why that is.
I love how both Mary and Zechariah both sing in this chapter, as well. They are so overwhelmed with thankfulness and awe and wonder that they are moved to song. I think that's so beautiful. I hope one day I am moved like that.
My favorite passage is from Zechariah's song.
"Because of the tenderness of God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace" (Luke 1:78-79).
What a beautiful image.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No comments:
Post a Comment